Re: Making C++ easier for new students

From: Jason McKesson <jmckesson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:12:58 -0400
On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 8/3/21 1:44 PM, Ivan Matek via Std-Proposals wrote:
>

> On a higher level other people have mentioned I am not sure you are doing your students favors by teaching them C++(except if you want to show them how low language primitives like arrays and malloc can be wrapped in nicer higher level language).
> Nobody can predict the future, but I would consider teaching them Rust.
>

> Rust is stricter on memory allocations but again it doesn't magically fix all problems.

Nobody claimed it did. You don't have to "fix all problems" to fix
*some* problems.

> Rust is not compatible with other languages

I don't know what you mean by that. Rust speaks C, just like most languages.

You don't have to like Rust, but spreading easily-debunked FUD about
it isn't helping anyone.