Re: Making C++ easier for new students

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 13:58:06 -0400
On 8/3/21 1:44 PM, Ivan Matek via Std-Proposals wrote:

> On a higher level other people have mentioned I am not sure you are
> doing your students favors by teaching them C++(except if you want to
> show them how low language primitives like arrays and malloc can be
> wrapped in nicer higher level language).
> Nobody can predict the future, but I would consider teaching them Rust.

Rust is stricter on memory allocations but again it doesn't magically
fix all problems. Rust is not compatible with other languages and by the
time it'll get ISO standardized to prevent backward compatibility issues
like Python, C++ will be a million miles ahead.

As far as bad C style memory management is concerned, my company offers
a robust solution and I am planning to ISO standardize it as well (I am
part of the SCC / ISO committee now).

Regards,

--
*Phil Bouchard*