Re: std::equality_comparable_with: relaxing the common reference requirements

From: Barry Revzin <barry.revzin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:37:00 -0500
Hey Justin,

I find this pretty compelling. So in short, equality_comparable_with<T, U>
(among other things) both requires that a common reference exists (I'll
call this type CR) but also that T and U are both convertible to CR, and
what you're proposing here is to keep all the requirements the same, still
require that CR exists as a type, but instead only require that T and U are
both convertible to CR const&?

To me, that seems like it still completely satisfies the design intent of
the model (we still have semantic meaning for the quality between T and U)
while simply allowing non-copyable types to work. And unique_ptr<T> ==
nullptr_t does very much seem semantically sound to me. But I am not
somebody that has ever really understood common reference, so I'm CCing the
three people that do.

Barry