Re: Regarding Big Integers in C++

From: Gašper Ažman <gasper.azman_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:08:21 +0100
Aditya,

People aren't saying those things to be difficult, they are saying them
because your library does not present an idiomatic c++ API. We generally
expect strong typing where operators do sensible things so we can write
code that doesn't look like LISP, but instead looks like arithmetic.

Please learn the expectations of your target audience first, instead of
just arguing. Some of our community has been with c++ from the start, which
at this point is almost 40 years (before it was a standard). Some of us
have been with C++ for "only" 15-20 years. C++ is a language with a
particular feel, its own idioms, and conventions. Components that run
counter to those don't interface with other parts correctly. For instance,
how can I use standard algorithms with your big integer library?
std::accumulate? std::partial_sum? std::sort? Would you think having to
provide an explicit operation or comparator every time is a reasonable
thing to ask every user of your library?