Re: Stacktrace from exception

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:06:12 +0300
On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 at 18:42, Edward Catmur via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> You're using exceptions in situations where you don't care about the stacktrace? Does that mean you're using exceptions as flow control?

No. Current uses of exceptions are such that the exception type and
its data contain all the information necessary for callers to deal
with the exception,
the stacktrace information is irrelevant for that.

> The way we use exceptions they are encountered rarely, and so the minimal overhead of capturing a partial stacktrace on throw (to handler) would be entirely acceptable. The more so if there is no heap allocation until std::current_exception_stacktrace() or std::current_exception() is called.

Overhead is overhead, there shouldn't be any, if it can be avoided.