Re: Stacktrace from exception

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:56:48 +0100
Presumably this particular implementation won't work if libcxxabi is
statically linked?

We hook exception throwing by subclassing std::type_info, overriding
__do_catch, and using a small bit of asm to create a polymorphic type whose
vtable points to that std::type_info subclass. This does admittedly mean
that you can only access the stack trace if you have a catch specification
with this custom type, but we find that usually where you want the stack
trace you'd be doing `catch (...)` anyway so changing that to `catch
(AnyException&)` isn't too onerous.

Quick demo:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/ecatmur/8321439b4c8bb5f6851aa55ec2aeecc2/raw/9cdf7113d0056ae0975ecca80c43dc3c90ec7e62/prog3.c++
And godbolt (slightly nerfed, but you get the idea):
https://godbolt.org/z/caK3r8jbr

I've occasionally thought that it'd be nice to be able to run arbitrary
code at the throw point, but while we've had the technical ability to do so
for a couple of years there hasn't been any demand, so probably just being
able to access the current exception stack trace is sufficient.