Re: Memory safety guarantees

From: Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 00:23:55 +0200
On 22/04/2021 23:00, Ville Voutilainen via Std-Proposals wrote:

>> But note that borrowing is a very powerful concept. When we combine that
>> with controlled pointers (e.g., smart pointers that can either prove
>> that the access is safe or introduce runtime checks), we can eliminate
>> all memory bugs. As Rust has demonstrated. And I think that is extremely
>> useful. The price, of course, is that this requires some changes to
>> coding style.
>
> I understand that, but memory is just memory. It's an important
> resource, but it's just
> one kind of resource. I would hate to paint ourselves into a corner
> when going for memory safety,
> and then failing to use that same path for resource safety.

At least from a PR point of view, it seems that some important companies
(some of the heaviest C++ users), are thinking that a language that
offers memory safety is worth trying, even to replace code that
previously was written in C++.

Other resource types are important, but maybe their impact in Security
is not as big. Apart from personal dislikes like in the Linux kernel, it
seems that memory safety promises are big enough to invest a
considerable effort in alternative languages for currently C++ codebases.

Best,

Ion