Re: Argument deduction for non-static class members

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 01:08:30 -0400
On 3/20/21 5:19 PM, Jason McKesson via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 12:26 PM Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/20/21 12:13 PM, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 17:54, Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
>> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> And that's why deduction probably shouldn't happen with class members
>> like that. It's not a matter of whether it's possible to specify in
>> the standard; it's a matter of whether it's a good idea to permit it.
>>
>> And there are good arguments why it shouldn't be.
>>
>> So it's better to be stricter than stuck down the road with an allowance you can't revert...
>>
>> See http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n3897.html
>>
>> But my take is we should enable it for clarity because decltype(...) is quite ugly.
> Did you read the paper and take note of all of the other reasons why
> it's not a good idea? Like for example the fact that not only is
> `decltype(...)` ugly, it's actually *semantically different* from the
> expression "..." when used as a default member initializer.
>
> Nobody's *forcing* anybody to use `decltype`. Not unless the
> initialization expression is exceedingly complicated, and the one in
> your example is decidedly not that. Avoiding typing `<int>` is not a
> good reason to do this.
>
> I'm not saying that there aren't places where using `auto` wouldn't be
> justifiable. But you don't seem to be considering all of the other
> problems that the feature creates.

According to the discussion, that feature could simply be limited as to
not referring to the incomplete encompassing type, etc.

I would even go as far as mimicking Python here:

struct A

{

     auto member1;

     auto member2;

     A(auto arg1, auto arg2) : member1(arg1), member2(arg2) {}

};

Would be equivalent to:

template <typename Arg1, typename Arg2>

struct A

{

     Arg1 member1;

     Arg2 member2;

     A(Arg1 arg1, Arg2 arg2) : member1(arg1), member2(arg2) {}

};

So that:

A a(1, 2.2);

Would generate:

A<int, float> a(1, 2.2);

Thus I would count the number of non-static data members inside the
class and map their types based on the [implicit / explicit]
constructor's arguments. That feature could be quite powerful IMO.

--
*Phil Bouchard*
Founder