Re: Avoid copies when using string_view with APIs expecting null terminated strings

From: Tom Mason <wheybags_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 22:13:19 +0000
I don't think what Arthur is proposing would involve the string_view modifying the const char*. It would just be informed that it can check the value at data() + size(), so it only does a read at that location to compare to zero. The byte at that position would have to be set externally. It does seem a little obscure though. Why would you have a string buffer with embedded nulls in it, make a string view that passes over the null, and then trim down to it? Maybe there is a use case there that I can't think of, but it seems better to me to just store a flag that indicates null termination directly.