Re: Avoid copies when using string_view with APIs expecting null terminated strings

From: Tom Mason <wheybags_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 10:16:46 +0000 (UTC)
I do think it's useful to use the one type. For example you might want to pass a file path to some image loading code. You support several different image formats, and some of the loaders are plain c libraries that expect a null terminated path. You check the file extension by iterating from the end of the string until you find a ".", then pass the string into the appropriate library. If you didn't have the length available too, then you would need an strlen before you start that backwards iteration.
I know that you could use std::filesystem::path for that, but I mean it as a representative sample (also you might not want to force callers to copy into a path).

Another example is if you're doing some normal modern c++ code and you just want to printf something along the way because printf is still pretty convenient.