Re: Adding stacktrace to std::exception

From: Marcin Jaczewski <marcinjaczewski86_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 23:32:16 +0100
pt., 13 lis 2020 o 18:44 Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> napisaƂ(a):

> On Friday, 13 November 2020 08:43:25 PST Henry Miller via Std-Proposals wrote:
> > The default needs to be 0: not all C++ systems are PCs with a ton of memory,
> > some of us have to fight for single bytes. I also have to deal with early
> > 1990s encryption what is insecure for now-obsolete legal reasons and
> > everything I can do to keep those details private by default is important.
>
> Thank you, Henry, that's my point.
>
> But this is all QoI, since an implementation does not need to support
> backtraces at all. Yours wouldn't.
>
> The only thing that is really required for this proposal is that it not change
> std::exception's ABI layout at all. A proposal that required that is DOA.

After some thoughts, if rewind cannot allocate any memory for backtrace then
did this mean this allocation was a random fall caused by other code
that exhausted all memory?
Image I created a million line spreadsheet and code fails when I try
to concat file path to save it.
This means backtrace will not give us a lot of information about the
cause of error.

Implementation should be allowed to fail to generate BT in cause of
OOM, and on small systems it will fall every time.