Re: Request for Opinion: Goal-based Memory Allocation

From: Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 08:07:05 -0500
On 05/11/2020 18.17, Scott Michaud via Std-Proposals wrote:
> [...] especially if a vendor wants to try something way
> outside-the-box, like the "skipping main RAM and mapping directly to
> a cache" example.

I don't think that's a viable thing to do, at least outside of very
niche usages like real-time programming. In a modern, general-purpose
system, task switching (or worse, your process being suspended or the
machine entering sleep) needs to be able to push that memory all the way
down to disk.

If you just mean the allocation doesn't hit RAM until and unless it
actually needs to, I don't see why that can't happen today with any old
allocator.

--
Matthew