Re: Request for Opinion: Goal-based Memory Allocation

From: Scott Michaud <scott_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 18:17:21 -0500
Arthur,

Wow thanks for the code review!

The goal when I was designing it was for per-thread temporaries in a
thread pool job system. I envisioned it as a sort of expansion pack for
a thread's stack. Elements that would persist longer than a blocking
function call are not designed for that allocator, so I didn't consider
moving from thread to thread.

This tangentially hits the core point, though.

My proposal was suggesting that memory allocation should be goal-centric.

  * Would enumerating goals be too focused to the point that users
    wouldn't care?
  * Do the actual goals in real-world memory allocation overlap too much?
  * Would going down to that level of use case not provide enough
    benefits to matter?

My thought is that this would be easy to teach and flexible to
implement, especially if a vendor wants to try something way
outside-the-box, like the "skipping main RAM and mapping directly to a
cache" example.

If we say "have a stack-based allocator" then the implementation's hands
are tied to an algorithm. If we say "have an allocator that's fast for
locals" then they can take it and run as far as they want.

But again that's why I'm requesting feedback. I might be miles away from
what typical stakeholders care about.

Thanks again!