Re: std::span

From: Mario Charest <stayprivate_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 09:39:25 -0700
On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 8:55 AM Tony V E via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Yes, we should keep different styles in mind. However,
>
> I think programming style was part of the reason we left at() out, whether
> we want to admit it or not.
> It uses std : : logic_error, which is practically an oxymoron. If there
> was an error in logic, then why trust the code to properly catch the error?
>
> If we thought at() was important, then the <span> implementation could use
> and link against a function throw_out_of_range_for_span(), keeping string
> out of the header, and being terminate or noop for freestanding.

Yep that's how string_view and array do it, did not check the others. In
gcc:__throw_out_of_range_fmt and clang __throw_out_of_range_fmt(). These
function are already present and generic are ready to be used.

> Ergo we didn't think at() was worth the effort.

We all pick our own battle.

> We make style decisions daily, whether we admit it or not. ‎Every API
> decision is a style decision.

I can totaly appreciated the challenges that comes with that. Just which
the same decision logic that applied to every other container/view would
have been apply to span.