Re: [span] Value of dynamic_extent

From: Nevin Liber <nevin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 19:02:01 -0500
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 6:37 PM Jorg Brown <jorg.brown_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 4:21 PM Nevin Liber via Std-Proposals <
> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM Bjorn Reese via Std-Proposals <
>> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am simply proposing to change the value to something that may bring
>>> us other benefits.
>>

>> - Why any value at all? Last I checked, we now have variadic
>> templates, where "now" is defined as since 2011...
>> - Why conflate dynamic-extent span and static-extent span into the
>> same templated type?
>>
>> If we're going to do down that rabbit hole, I want a
> template-parameter-free std::string, and an allocator-free std::vector, too.

While I certainly wouldn't propose changing existing types to variadic (as
that is ABI breaking), I don't see why it is undesirable for new types
(quite the opposite, as it makes it easier to extend types while still
being able to process them generically), nor why we should still conflate
dynamic and static extent spans into one templated type. Could you
elaborate?
--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden] <nevin_at_[hidden]>>
+1-847-691-1404