Re: Fwd: Internal fill *not* considered harmful (re: P1652)

From: Zhihao Yuan <zy_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 23:25:20 +0000
On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:07 PM, Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> {:0=6} → "-00123", "-00inf"
> {:0=06} → "-00123", "-00inf"
> {:=06} → "-00123", "- inf"
> {:06} → "-00123", " -inf"
>
> The "quick" rule would be: "you didn't want to use '0' as the fill
> character".

Look, in your example, {:06}, and only
{:06}, generates an output that can be
parsed by strtod. Others are producing
seemly correct results "occasionally,"
which is troublesome -- generating weird
output is okay, confusing people is not.
I feel doing evil if I'm adding more
"rule of thumbs" to C++ since it already
has too many.

> > If people are
> > motivated they can add it. But Rust people seem not :)
>
> I suppose if you're arguing that we just never needed align=internal in
> the first place, and everyone is okay with that, then... well, okay. I
> just don't buy P1652r0 Problem 3 as the reason to get rid of it.

I did not affirmatively say that is
useless, I just don't find its complexity
and learning cost worth the effort.

--
Zhihao Yuan, ID lichray