C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Hostile implementation of strict total order of pointers

From: Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:09:04 +0200
On Sun, Jul 23, 2023, 17:46 Richard Hodges <hodges.r_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2023 at 17:39, Edward Catmur <ecatmur_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jul 23, 2023, 17:16 Richard Hodges <hodges.r_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the light of the C++ memory model being specified in terms of a
>>> virtual machine, it seems an anomaly to me that the memory model is not
>>> also specified in terms of a linear address space.
>>>
>>> In this model, segmentation would be merely an implementation detail.
>>> This would remove an enormous amount of unnecessary confusion from the
>>> language.
>>>
>>> If people wanted to work in terms of small segments or paged program
>>> memory, that is surely something that should be covered by compiler
>>> extensions, no?
>>>

>> But would that mean that every pointer is reachable from every other
>> pointer?
>>

> The language is full of constructs to allow pointers to reach when they
> “shouldn’t”. Reinterpret_casr, launder, etc.
>
> I’m ok with this, and I’m OK with it being easier to work with memory.

I don't really see launder as the same kind of thing. If by
reinterpret_cast you mean performing arithmetic in uintptr_t, then by doing
so you're explicitly eschewing guardrails and optimization opportunities.

And uintptr_t is the escape hatch here. Perhaps making that conversion more
tied down would be the way to go, if we can be certain that the translation
places the address part ends up in the low bits. And then if we could be
sure that std::less is consistent with uintptr_t, non hostility would
naturally result.

> It seems that might be detrimental to correctness, security and/or
>> optimization.
>>

> I’m not proposing to remove wording describing the behaviour of aliased
> pointers.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Would a tagged pointer architecture
where subtracting or comparing pointers with different tags faults still be
permitted? Because that's what I'm most concerned we might lose with a
switch to a flat model, along with the possibility of sanitizers to pretend
a tagged architecture for identifying bugs, and optimizers to pretend one
for the performance benefit.