C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Some feedback on scope guards

From: Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:10:51 +0300
On 4/17/23 14:49, Marcin Jaczewski wrote:
> pon., 17 kwi 2023 o 13:44 Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion
> <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

>>> This means every smart pointer and container and any other user-defined
>>> type that uses pointers as members would have to be updated for this to
>>> work. This is a big ask.
>>
>> Also, I wonder how things like shared_ptr and unique_ptr<T[]> would work
>> with this.
>>

> Do even langage need to define behavior for it?

You're defining a new operator (or even a set of operators), so yes, as
a matter of fact the core language and the standard library has to
define the behavior of these operators in each and every case, scope
guards or not. Does the language guarantee that `T::operator unwind`
will be called by unique_ptr<T[]> for every member of the array? How
would that be implemented? What about shared_ptr<T>? What if there are
two shared_ptrs pointing to the same object and only one of them is
destroyed due to an exception?

How does this new operator interact with virtual functions and base
classes? Do you allow the operator to be =deleted? If so, what does it
mean? Is the object now indestructible? (Because whether there will be
an exception or not is a runtime property, not compile-time.)

There are likely a lot of other questions such a proposal needs to answer.

> How do you want scope guard for variables that are not linked in any
> way to scope? Is even one correct answer for this?

There is an answer in the current TS - the scope guard calls its action
when its destructor is called. scope_success/scope_fail also add the
logic around uncaught_exceptions(), which, although is not working as
desired with coroutines, is still rather simple and straightforward.