C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Some feedback on scope guards

From: Marcin Jaczewski <marcinjaczewski86_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:45:13 +0200
pon., 17 kwi 2023 o 13:36 Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion
<std-discussion_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> On 4/17/23 14:11, Marcin Jaczewski via Std-Discussion wrote:
> > pon., 17 kwi 2023 o 12:54 Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion
> > <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> napisał(a):

> >> And what would this mean? That it forwards or that it doesn't?
> >> Regardless of how you answer, my previous reply applies.
> >>

> > Apply same operator to all members.

> >> I'm not sure what you mean here. Default copy constructors/assignments
> >> do forward, but there's no problem with that, so I don't see the relation.
> >>

> > As the same logic applies in both cases, `T(const T&) = default` apply
> > copy for each member.
> > `operator throw_unwind() = default;` is equal to:
> > ```
> > x.operator throw_unwind();
> > y.operator throw_unwind();
> > z.operator throw_unwind();
> > ```
> > Of course if `x` is a pointer then this operator is noop. But we can
> > easy work around this by composition like:
> > ```
> > struct mixing_unwind_deref
> > {
> > template<typename T>
> > operator throw_unwind(this T& self) { if (self) (*self).operator
> > throw_unwind(); }
> > };
> >
> > struct MyPointer : std::unique_ptr<scope_gaurd>, mixing_unwind_deref
> > {
> >
> > };
> > ```
>
> This means every smart pointer and container and any other user-defined
> type that uses pointers as members would have to be updated for this to
> work. This is a big ask.

I already show how this could be this easy workaround:
```
struct MyPointer : std::unique_ptr<scope_gaurd>, mixing_unwind_deref
```
And another mixing that propagates this operator to `for (auto& p : *this)`.

> >> This doesn't help if you still need to check for uncaught_exceptions().
> >>

> > But what would be the point for checking this? even more when its have
> > wrong value
> > when call in coroutine? `uncaught_exceptions` was needed to check if
> > it was throw unwind.
> > This operator gives this info directly. What exactly need I have for
> > this function?
>
> Assuming scope_fail invokes its action from within this `operator
> unwind`, how would nested scope_fails work?

What exactly nesting you are describing?
If this `scope_fails` is a member of type then it should be called automatically
by default implementation of `throw_unwind`. Type can be even plain struct like:
```
struct Foo
{
   scope_guard x;
};
```
as all types will have predefined `operator throw_unwind() = default;`