C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Fwd: Some feedback on scope guards

From: Lénárd Szolnoki <cpp_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 19:57:10 +0100
On Sun, 2023-04-16 at 21:45 +0300, Andrey Semashev via Std-Discussion
wrote:
> On 4/16/23 21:41, Lénárd Szolnoki via Std-Discussion wrote:
> > On Sun, 2023-04-16 at 21:36 +0300, Andrey Semashev via Std-
> > Discussion
> > wrote:

> > > No, scope guards *are* moveable. And I can imagine use cases that
> > > rely
> > > on them being moveable, like returning an epilogue from a
> > > function.
> > >
> > > auto start_transaction(transaction_data& tr)
> > > {
> > > scope_exit completion_guard([&] { tr.complete(); });
> > > tr.init_with_data_data(x, y, z);
> > > return completion_guard;
> > > }
> >
> > Well, you have scope guards, so why not write this?
> >
> > auto start_transaction(transaction_data& tr)
> > {
> > scope_success init_tr([&] {tr.init_with_data_data(x, y, z);});
> > return scope_exit([&] { tr.complete(); });
> > }
> >
> > No need for `scope_exit` to be movable here.
>
> The type needs to be formally moveable, even if the move constructor
> is
> elided, is it not?

No, as I'm returning a prvalue. You can return an immovable type since
C++17.

> Anyway, regardless of the example, scope guards are defined as
> moveable
> types.

I think it's probably a mistake for scope_fail and scope_success, as
it's possible to move them across unrelated scopes which breaks the
assumptions of the implementation with uncaught_exceptions().

> > BTW, movable or not, `scope_fail` and `scope_success` are broken if
> > you
> > return them from a catch block.
>
> No, because uncaught_exceptions() is already decremented in a catch
> block.

You are right, my mistake. Having said that it's possible to move a
scope_fail/success from a scope where uncaught_exceptions() == 1 to a
scope where uncaught_exceptions() == 0 when they are eventually
destroyed. To be fair, it's probably harder to do this accidentally.