C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Unsynchronized placement-new

From: Julien Villemure-Fréchette <julien.villemure_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:12:59 -0500
Picking up from my last message, I should add that in general, the placement new *expression* is certainly not free of data races: initializing at the same address from two different threads without synchronization primitives is certainly a race condition, in the same way as if invoking two new *expression* that would call constructors that would both modify a global variable for instance.

The clause [new.delete.dataraces] only considers the alloc/dealloc functions, they don't apply to the initializing part of the new/delete expressions.

Julien V.