C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Unsynchronized placement-new

From: Julien Villemure-Fréchette <julien.villemure_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 20:01:30 -0500
> calling "the library versions of
operator new" is not a data race

This only apply to the allocation/deallocation functions named "operator new"/"operator delete", it doesn't say anything about "new expression" (which is not the same as the allocation functions named "operator new"). It simply states that multiple threads can allocate memory without the need to use synchronization primitives, calls to operator new and operator delete occur in a single total order, in particular two successive calls to operator new without an intervening call to operator delete are guaranteed to never return addresses to overlapping bytes.

Furthermore, the placement version of operator new, that is `void* operator new(std::size_t count, void* ptr)`
is a noop:
> 9) Called by the standard single-object placement new expression. The standard library implementation performs no action and returns ptr unmodified. The behavior is undefined if this function is called through a placement new expression and ptr is a null pointer.

The documented behavior makes it trivially thread safe without any need for synchronization primitives.

cheers,
Julien V.