C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Are deleted copy/move operations trivial or non-trivial?

From: Andrew Schepler <aschepler_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 08:44:47 -0400
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 7:23 AM Stephan Bergmann via Std-Discussion <
std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Both of the above definitions of triviality delegate to something that
> is "selected to copy/move" certain subobjects. But if the copy/move
> operation is deleted, nothing actually gets selected. That IMO gives
> rise to two potential interpretations: On the one hand, as nothing gets
> selected, it is irrelevant whether what would be selected if the
> copy/move operation were not deleted is trivial (and thus the deleted
> copy constructor of S2 is trivial). On the other hand, as nothing gets
> selected, the requirement that what gets selected is trivial is not met
> (and thus the deleted copy constructor of S2 is non-trivial, as no
> trivial constructor is selected to copy the S1 base class subobject).
>
> (Not sure whether this question makes a practical difference for the
> standard though, as qualification of (non-)triviality of such copy/move
> operations appears to generally by accompanied by some non-deletedness
> qualification.)

I agree that it shouldn't matter since all contexts where triviality of a
function matters should be ones where the function must not be deleted.
This situation is a bit strange for all of the special members. For
example, given

struct X { int &r; };
struct Y { int &r; virtual void f(); };

then by the letter of the Standard, X::X() is deleted and trivial while
Y::Y() is deleted and non-trivial. But this distinction is pointless.

I'd say by the spirit of the Standard, though the letter contradicts, a
deleted function is never trivial. This also fits with the unofficial rule
of thumb that evaluating a trivial function is accomplished with zero
processor instructions (assuming reasonable optimizations enabled, no
runtime linting or similar features, etc.). Of course, evaluating a deleted
function is not accomplished at all, so it's not in that category.

-- Andrew Schepler