C++ Logo

std-discussion

named function return value

From: Замфир Йончев <zamfir.yonchev_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 15:06:07 +0300
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place or the right way to ask but I was
wondering if there is a (similar) proposal for the following:

Adding an explicit name and an initial value to the return value of a
function.
I imagine the following function signature (in pseudocode) :

auto func_name(Type1 arg1, Type2 arg2, etc.) -> RetType *ret_value_name
> {init_value}*;

The change from existing code is the addition of a name after the return
type and an initialization.
Think of the initialization as a default value.

I've noticed a lot of cases where a programmer would write functions like
this:

int vector_sum(const std::vector<int>& vec) // or auto sum(const
> std::vector<int>& vec) -> int
> {
> * int result = 0;*
> for(const auto value : vec) result += value;
> * return result;*
> }

The *bolded* lines are repeated in many functions which return a new object
constructed or built from the function arguments.

I imagine with this new syntax these lines would be implicitly generated by
the compiler.
So, the function above can be written like this:

auto vector_sum(const std::vector<int>& vec) -> int result {0}
> {
> for(const auto value : vec) result += value;
> }

I was inspired by Ben Deane's talk at CppCon2021 about adding an explicit
type to the 'this' argument.
This is a similar idea but related to an explicit name of the return value.

Some clarifications:

As far as I can tell the initialization is required because if it's
optional the compiler won't be able to tell if the curly braces belong to
the initialization or the function body.
So, if the compiler sees an identifier after the return type it should
always expect an initializer before the function body (or before the
semicolon for function declarations).
If it doesn't see an identifier after the return type it should expect the
function body straight away (how it is now).

For function declarations (without a body) if you don't need (or you
cannot) provide an initial value, you should not provide an explicit return
value name.
So it's either both a name and an initialization or none.
Then in the actual definition you can provide the name and the initial
value.
Similarly to how currently you can omit the argument names in function
declarations and then provide them in the definition.

The usage of curly braces in the initialization also doesn't cause problems
with pure virtual function declarations.
For example:

> virtual auto func(int arg) -> int result {10} = 0;

Although, in most cases I don't think you would need an explicit return
value name in pure virtual functions.

What do you think about this idea?
Has anyone proposed something like this?

Best regards,
Zamfir Yonchev