C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Weird tweet about C++20

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 23:00:17 +0300
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 22:51, Gennaro Prota via Std-Discussion
<std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> To put it a bit differently: they are called to produce a specification, which isn't much different from producing software.
>
> Now, here's how these people would "release" software...: "We made version 5.4.1, but it's nowhere. Grab the source code (of version 5.4?), the minutes of the meetings where the devs discussed the changes, and the "release" notes, and apply the changes yourself. It's all public!".
>
> But, you saw for yourself, when I said this is unacceptable, Ville basically replied with a "I don't give a shit about it".
>
> I admit that I'm not the most diplomatic in the world, and may upset people; and that I care so much for this profession that my statements may appear exaggerated. I hope, though, this will not prevent seeing the right in what I say. Please, analyze the facts in conscience and tell if it is acceptable that they can't even handle version control.

We can handle version control just fine. Just because you don't
understand the trade-offs of your lofty suggestions
doesn't make your incorrect analogies correct. It also doesn't
particularly upset me if you wish to should as loud
as you can that you don't know what you're talking about, that's fine by me.