C++ Logo

std-discussion

a trait for contextual convertible to bool?

From: Peter Sommerlad (C++) <"Peter>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:25:14 +0100
Hi

while trying to implement a better Bool than bool (no implicit
artithmetic, no implicit conversion from arithmetic types) I figured
that there is no trait that models contextual convertibility to bool,
i.e., std::istream& is contextual convertible to bool, but
std::is_convertible<std::istream&,bool> is false_type as well as
std::convertible_to<std::istream&,bool> fails.

Do other feel the need to have such a trait modelling contextual
conversion to bool, or is there a trait that would allow that?

I implemented my own that provides explicit conversion to bool from
class types and pointers, which is what I want to support for my Bool type.

Thoughts

Regards
Peter.

--
Peter Sommerlad
Better Software: Consulting, Training, Reviews