Re: [SG7] P2320: "The Syntax of Static Reflection" feedback request

From: Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:40:08 +0100
Hi David, hi Andrew,

Thanks both for your replies.

I had somehow missed Barry's paper P1858R2. Thanks for pointing to it.

> template<typename... Ts>
> class tuple {
> Ts... elems;
> };

This is a thing of beauty :-)
The only drawback: I would actually like to be have "real" names for
members. That would allow to use

    auto x = t.m1;

instead of

    auto x = get<1>(t);

In my view, we should be able to treat tuples as structs and structs as
tuples. We just spell them differently. For instance, std::get would
work with structs. And I could also pass structs into tuple_cat.

> constexpr tuple(T const&... args)
> : ... [: data_members_of(^tuple) :]([:parameters_of(current_function()):])
> { }

While Barry's proposal is much shorter, I would prefer something like
this, as it would work with named members :-)

> I haven't had an opportunity to think about what this would look like, but Barry has :)
>
> template <typename... Tuples>
> constexpr std::tuple<Tuples.[:]... ...> tuple_cat(Tuples&&... tuples) {
> return {std::forward<Tuples>(tuples).[:]... ...};
> }

Thanks again for pointing at Barry's paper. This nested ellipsis would
be great, IMO.

> The tuple_cat example is indeed directly from Mr. Revzin's paper
(P1858R1), and seems purpose built to solve this particular problem.
But what about the next problem? Serious complexity creep seems to be
happening here, and it is not clear where it will end, given that, as
Roland pointed out, the examples so far have been toy examples,
"wooden," not realistic use cases that push the features to the limits.
  When the first complicated test case presented must be solved with
new, purpose-built language features…to me, that smells.

There is always a danger of complexity creep in the language. And there
is always the danger of omitting something crucial to prevent complexity
of users' code.

I believe the only way to prevent them is to experiment with the stuff
for real purposes. I am using https://github.com/lock3/meta (currently
on branch new-splice-syntax) to see how https://github.com/rbock/sqlpp11
would look like with reflection and generation in place.

It makes the code orders of magnitude easier to reason about. It might
even allow us to treat containers or streams as databases and use SQL
expressions on them (a bit like LINQ in C#).

And it turns out that constructing SQL statements and result types for
SELECT queries is actually similar to constructing tuples. That's why I
played with them for some time. And it is awesome that we already have
proposals to address that.

So yes, go and find examples that are hard/clumsy without reflection and
start translating them. We need real life examples :-)

Cheers,

Roland