Subject: Re: P2320: "The Syntax of Static Reflection" feedback request
From: David Vandevoorde (daveed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-02-16 10:27:58

> On Feb 16, 2021, at 10:31 AM, David Rector via SG7 <sg7_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[…]
> Re: "required reading", I’ll pass, I don’t think a request for feedback on syntax should require any reading; users who haven’t kept up to date can offer useful feedback, indeed I would argue the most important feedback, since they have some separation from the process, a defense against groupthink.

IMO, syntax shouldn’t be separated from semantics, and P2320 very much involved considering the semantics (and underlying mechanisms) we want to achieve.

Also, defending against “groupthink” isn’t effectively done by ignoring prior work. Instead, in my experience, it leads to repeatedly rehashing arguments that have been made in the past and putting the burden on the group of a task that we typically expect of the participants individually.

        Daveed