[SG5] Mar 9 meeting notes, next meeting

From: Hans Boehm <boehm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 13:57:35 -0800
Attendees: Hans Boehm, Victor Luchangco, Jens Maurer, Michael Scott, Mike
Spear

We discussed the state of P1875 and P2066, trying to ascertain whether
things are in sufficiently consistent shape.

What's the role of the "inline function with reachable definition"
restriction?

The position at the end of the last meeting was essentially that we
preserve this for unknown user functions, but generally require most of the
standard library to be supported, even if the implementation violates this
constraint.

There is clearly a tension here: Once we support various library calls that
require fallback to a global lock when they do difficult things, why don't
we just require the compiler to do the same?

What about std::function, which can essentially replace function pointers?

In the end, we decided to stick to this for now: We don't require the
compiler to implement a fallback, but the standard library code may have
to. This will clearly be revisited again. It should avoid the need for more
than syntax-level compiler support for an HTM-based implementation.

Other library functions that should probably be disallowed because they
involve visible synchronization:
synchronized_pool_resource, signal(), Handler functions (e.g. terminate),
time zones?

Other library functions that relate to function pointers like std::function
and std::bind should be allowed.

Action Items:

Jens to update and submit P2066

Hans to update P1875, if needed.

Next meeting: Tuesday April 6, 8am PDT / 11:00am EDT

meet.google.com/sbj-cvgh-vnd

 +1 208-925-0196‬ PIN: ‪255 542‬#