Re: [SG5] Suggested draft TS for TM-light

From: Michael L. Scott <mlscott_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 13:58:17 -0500
I continue to have reservations about the limitation to constexpr functions, but I’m ok with submitting, and would like to be an author. One question:

[ Note: The following holds for a data-race-free program: If the start of an atomic block T is sequenced before an evaluation A, A is sequenced before the end of T, and A strongly happens before some evaluation B, then the end of T strongly happens before B. If an evaluation C strongly happens before that evaluation A, then C strongly happens before the start of T. These properties in turn imply that in any simple interleaved (sequentially consistent) execution, the operations of each atomic block appear to be contiguous in the interleaving. -- end note ]

I’m not sure I completely understand that final sentence. I would have guessed that we needed to say “for any sequentially consistent execution _there exists_ a (potentially different) sequentially consistent execution in which the operations of each atomic block are contiguous”. Is that existentiality covered by “appear to be”? After all, if atomic blocks A and B touch only local variables, their operations can be arbitrarily interleaved in a sequentially consistent execution.

- Michael