[SG5] Meeting today, July 22, and July 1 notes

From: Hans Boehm <boehm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:53:21 -0700
I believe we have a meeting scheduled today at the usual coordinates. This
would be going back to our original schedule. Let me know if you usually
attend and this doesn't work for you.

> Join Hangouts Meet <https://meet.google.com/sbj-cvgh-vnd?hs=122>
> meet.google.com/sbj-cvgh-vnd
> Join by phone <+1-208-925-0196>
> ‪+1 208-925-0196‬ PIN: ‪255 542‬#

Here are my cryptic notes from last time:

Victor: Intended mostly to discourage large user functions.

Make it clear that we are not saying whether STL is in same translation
unit.

Should we ban atomics in transactions?

M. Spear: Ban. Behaviors for data-race-free programs vary

M Scott: All instances of a common semantics?

M. Scott: Users will communIcate within transaction

Consensus: Ban it for now.

Ban in the same way as exceptions: Undefined Behavior.

Require static checks for e.g. atomics in transaction?

Michael Spear: All within compilation unit

M Scott: Need undefined if we will weaken restrictions later

Hans: Already unclear which piece of code will be dynamically called in
transaction.

Add discussion in alternatives section that we decided against requiring
static detection of disallowed operations.