Re: SG20 Digest, Vol 37, Issue 5

From: Victor Eijkhout <eijkhout_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 14:10:14 +0000

> Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to try out this approach on real
> students. My experience is that namespaces are seen as mysterious and
> scary, but I don't know if that would be so if they were used in simple
> ways from day #1.

On day 1 they are learning what a loop is. Day 2 a function, day 3 objects, day 4 containers. Maybe on day 10 they write something that is even big enough for separate compilation. (Which brings up the question of headers, makefiles, build systems. Day 11?)

Point being there are many things that I would like to do on day 1, but my students brain capacity is limited. Last semester I tried integrating unit testing in a beginners course. With mixed success. Namespaces? Unless I can come up with a convincing enough example why they need it I’m not teaching it.

Victor.

PS does someone know how to properly reply to a msg in a digest?