Re: [SG20] A draft paper to fix the range-based for loop to make it teachable

From: Nicolai Josuttis <nico_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 16:53:14 +0100
Am 10.11.2020 um 15:53 schrieb Yehezkel Bernat:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Amir Kirsh via SG20
> <sg20_at_[hidden] <mailto:sg20_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> For example: don't return a const reference to a parameter that you
> got as const ref. It might be a temporary (great example I send my
> students to is here
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkgszkPnV8g&t=13m0s>).
>

> I don't think the standard library agrees. E.g.
> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/algorithm/min
> <https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/algorithm/min>
> This is probably the responsibility of the caller to not hold things as
> references in such cases.
>

> But fixing just the range-based-for may lead to even more confusion.
>

> I like this argument!

It should be not argument anymore.
I.E we definitely should NOT teach it with pseudo code but with a black
box like a function call.
Then we don't have to explain this anymore.

The problem right now is that we HAVE to show and explain the pseudo
code because to explain the problem.

--
Nicolai M. Josuttis
www.josuttis.de