Re: [isocpp-lib-ext] Restoring row and column vectors to the linear algebra proposal

From: Jake Arkinstall <jake.arkinstall_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 21:02:31 +0100
Hi Guy,

To me, orientation is important: a row vector and a column vector are very
different things, with different properties.

There's a practical reason for this, rather than just a philosophical one.
How you find the dual of a vector depends on the vector space: for
real-valued vectors, the transpose is used - which is nice and cheap.

For complex valued vectors, at least in the domains of quantum mechanics,
control theory and signal processing, the conjugate transpose is used.
Otherwise, you get weird inner product behaviour, such as a
self-inner-product having imaginary components. This is not cheap - it's
either O(N) at the point of transpose or it requires some fun logic down
the line that differs in behaviour depending on whether a parameter is
transposed or not. I regret that I am not intimately familiar with the
linear algebra proposal, so I don't know if this is already something that
is covered.

My concern is that implicitly transposing the wrong way is a source of
avoidable error, and for me that trumps any argument about tedium.

With my physics hat on, consider this a vote for orientation matters,
unless someone points out that I'm being a fool and that this is all
already covered.

Kind regards,
Jake