Re: D1709: Graph Proposal

From: Jeremy Murphy <jeremy.william.murphy_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:28:19 +1000
Hi everyone,

apologies for dropping in unannounced, I'm not sure what the protocol for
participation is.

I just had a couple of comments to add on the algorithm naming topic.

The value of having std::sort and std::stable_sort is ease of use -- a user
doesn't have to deliberate when they want to get on with the task of
sorting arbitrary data. But for the users with specific requirements such
as sorting many small arrays, or not caring about the worst-case scenario,
they have to pay the cost of generality.
>From memory, some standard implementations have "insertion_sort" in there,
but it's not in ::std, so it's not available to the user.

C++17 introduced an overload of std::search that takes a searcher object
such as std::boyer_moore or std::boyer_moore_horspool, and also provided
the std::default_searcher class that just does the basic algorithm. (Of
course they retained the original interface to std::search too.)

>From these examples, I'm suggesting why not have both? I mean, have
std::dijkstra and std::bellman_ford, etc, but also have the
std::shortest_path(_variant) names that default to the most generally
pleasing (whatever that means) algorithm. That would satisfy the users that
want to choose their algorithm explicitly and the users that want the
language to choose the best algorithm for the problem. You might even
design it like std::search, so that the algorithm is passed as a solver to
the single interface, i.e. a user might call
std::shortest_path(std::dijkstra{}, ...) to explicitly use Dijkstra's
algorithm to solve that problem; if the user doesn't explicitly choose a
solver then the default is used.

Cheers.

Jeremy