[isocpp-sg16] Unicode identifiers in the source code

From: Mateusz Pusz <mateusz.pusz_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 16:56:05 +0200
Hi,

During the recent LEWGI discussion on the units library, people in the room
suggested that in addition to the regular "ASCII" version, we should also
provide Unicode symbols for unit identifiers. It seems that with P1949R7,
this could be possible.

However, when I tried this in the code, I was able to make the following
work:

inline constexpr auto µΩ = micro<si::ohm>;

but not:

inline constexpr auto ℃ = degree_Celsius;
inline constexpr auto ° = degree;
inline constexpr auto ′ = arcminute;
inline constexpr auto ″ = arcsecond;

Are those outside of the supported range and should not be supported, or is
it just the lack of proper support in the compilers I use (gcc-14 and
clang-18)?

Even if this can work, is it a good idea?

Best

Mat