Agenda for the 2024-04-10 SG16 meeting

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 16:15:49 -0400
SG16 will hold a meeting on Wednesday, April 10th, at 19:30 UTC
(timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20240410T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pdt&p3=tz_mdt&p4=tz_cdt&p5=tz_edt&p6=tz_cest>).

*For those in Europe, please note that daylight savings time has begun,
so this telecon will begin one hour later relative to the last SG16
telecon.*

The agenda follows.

  * P2758R2: Emitting messages at compile time <https://wg21.link/p2758r2>.

Though prior revisions of P2758 had an honorable mention in a couple of
SG16 meetings last year, this will be our first formal review of it. The
initial version of this paper was introduced at the same time as P2741
(user-generated static_assert messages) <https://wg21.link/p2741> with
significant overlap in functionality. P2741R3
<https://wg21.link/p2741r3> was adopted for C++26 during the Varna WG21
meeting in 2023 and P2758R2 has been updated to remove the overlap (at
least from what is proposed, sections 2.1 and 4 don't appear to have
been updated). This paper proposes a set of library functions that
enable a custom diagnostic message to be produced as an informative,
warning, or error message with corresponding effect on translation
success. Please review the prior discussion of P2741R1 (user-generated
static_assert messages) <https://wg21.link/p2741r1> during the
2024-04-26 SG16 meeting
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings/blob/master/README-2023.md#april-26th-2023>
for context. EWG has already reviewed the proposal during the 2023
Issaquah meeting
<https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21issaquah2023/NotesEWGstaticassert>,
during its 2024-01-31 telecon
<https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21telecons2024/P2758R1-EWG>, and in
Tokyo <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21tokyo2024/NotesEWGP2758>;
further review is pending LEWG review. As always, we'll discuss encoding
related matters but will try to avoid topics that are not otherwise in
our purview. Please note that static_assert, as updated by P2741R3,
requires that the /static_assert-message
<http://eel.is/c++draft/dcl.pre#nt:static_assert-message>/ be encoded in
the ordinary literal encoding with use of /universal-character-name
<http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.charset#nt:universal-character-name>/ or
/simple-escape-sequence
<http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.ccon#nt:simple-escape-sequence>/ restricted
to the /unevaluated-string
<http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.string.uneval#nt:unevaluated-string>/ form.

We have other papers to review, but I am freshly back from vacation and
other authors are either unavailable or I haven't made contact with them
yet (and won't do so with such little notice). So, this might be a short
meeting.

Tom.