Re: P2728 Status Update

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 12:43:05 -0500
On 1/8/24 6:55 PM, Eddie Nolan via SG16 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to announce that I’m taking over ownership of Zach Laine’s
> Unicode papers: P2728, P2729, and P2745.
>
> I’m currently working on a new revision of P2728, “Unicode in the
> Library, Part 1: UTF Transcoding.” The main update will be a different
> approach to error handling, replacing the previous
> |transcoding_error_handler| mechanism with a new member function in
> |utf_iterator| that specifies whether the code unit that |operator*|
> would return is part of a replacement character that was substituted
> for an ill-formed subsequence.

I suggest posting some examples illustrating how that member function
would be used in some quasi-real world use cases and how useful
diagnostics or error recovery might be facilitated. I don't think we
have a strong collective understanding of what is really useful or
necessary in this regard. It might be useful to search github or other
source code repositories for uses of iconv(), ICU (ucnv_fromUChars() and
ucnv_toUChars()), MultiByteToWideChar(), or other more Unicode specific
transcoding utilities.

> Please let me know if you have any feedback on P2728 that I should
> look into for its next revision! I can be reached at
> eddiejnolan_at_[hidden] or on Mattermost at username |_at_eddienolan|.

I would encourage reviewing the meeting minutes from the following prior
discussions:

  * 2023-09-13 SG16 meeting
    <https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#september-13th-2023>
    (you were present for this one).