SG16 wish list for 2024

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 18:49:39 -0500
As we head into the end of year holidays, it is a good time to start
thinking about our collective wishes for the next year. Please share
your thoughts on what you would most like to see SG16 focus on and/or
accomplish next year. Don't be afraid to dream big!

I think it is worth noting that C++23 makes it possible, for the first
time, to write a proper version of hello world in C++. The following is
now standard, portable, C++! https://godbolt.org/z/PYr184q6v

    #include <print>
    int main() {
       std::println("👋 🌍");
    }

With a little luck, that Compiler Explorer link will demonstrate a
working implementation for gcc in the not too distant future! Perhaps
2024 will also bring back the ability to execute code compiled by the
Microsoft compiler on godbolt.org (I said to dream big!) I did verify
locally that the Microsoft implementation behaves as expected (when the
resulting executable is run inside Microsoft's new terminal).

When SG16 was first formed back in 2018, I was asked to contribute a
brief bio <https://isocpp.org/wiki/faq/wg21#tom-honermann> to add to the
WG21 committee members hosted on isocpp.org. A request for a favorite
code fragment was included and I decided to go with the following
forward looking example.

    #include <program_arguments>
    #include <environment>
    #include <print>
    int main() {
       std::print(u8"👋 🌍\n"); // Hello world in the universal language
    of emoji!
       std::print(u8"Hello {}!\n", environment["USER"].as_u8string());
       std::print(u8"This program is {}\n", program_arguments[0].as_path());
    }

We're making progress! My personal wish list for 2024 includes getting
the rest of this (or something quite like it) working as standard C++.

Thank you all for the contributions you bring to SG16 and WG21!

Tom.