Agenda for the 2023-04-26 SG16 telecon​

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 22:36:48 -0400
SG16 will hold a telecon on Wednesday, April 26th, at 19:30 UTC
(timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20230426T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pt&p3=tz_mt&p4=tz_ct&p5=tz_et&p6=tz_cest>).

The agenda follows.

  * L2/23-107
    <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23107-terminal-suppt.pdf>: Proper
    Complex Script Support in Text Terminals
      o Determine interest for participation in a potential new UTC project.
  * P2779R0 <https://wg21.link/p2779r0>: Make basic_string_view’s range
    construction conditionally explicit
      o Determine whether to commit SG16 time to discussing this paper.
  * P2741R1 <https://wg21.link/p2741r1>: user-generated static_assert
    messages
  * P2758R0 <https://wg21.link/p2758r0>: Emitting messages at compile time

L2/23-107 <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23107-terminal-suppt.pdf>
proposes the creation of a new project within the Unicode Consortium to
develop specifications for support of complex scripts in
console/terminal command line and text-based user interfaces. Such a
specification could eventually provide a standard that could be used by
std::format and std::print to produce better results than we know how to
do today, even after the significant improvements achieved via P2675
(LWG3780: The Paper (format's width estimation is too approximate and
not forward compatible)) <https://wg21.link/p2675>. We won't spend time
reviewing the paper in this telecon, so please read it at your own
leisure. Robin has indicated that additional participants for such a
project would be appreciated, so we'll take a small amount of time to
discuss if anyone would be interested in participating. The UTC is
meeting next week, so Robin won't be able to join us, but I'm sure he
would be happy to provide additional details for anyone interested.

P2779R0 <https://wg21.link/p2779r0> is a recently submitted paper that
includes SG16 in its audience. It isn't clear to me that the paper
requires SG16 review; I think the concerns fall more within LEWG's
purview. However, a regular SG16 attendee argued for SG16 to review it.
We won't review the paper in this meeting, but will instead have a brief
discussion of whether we collectively feel SG16 should spend meeting
time reviewing this paper prior to any request from a LEWG chair.
Another option would be to conduct a mailing list review. Briefly, the
paper proposes a heuristic for determining whether a type qualifies as a
string_view-like type for which implicit conversions to std::string_view
should be enabled. Please feel free to share your opinions ahead of time
in a reply to this message.

P2741R1 <https://wg21.link/p2741r1> and P2758R0
<https://wg21.link/p2758r0> are closely related papers. Both seek to
improve the ability of programmers to influence compile-time
diagnostics. Both papers propose improvements to static_assert to enable
a message to be produced during constant evaluation. The latter paper
proposes additional facilities to issue messages and errors at
compile-time. We'll review both papers, their relative advantages and,
depending on discussion, poll forwarding one or both papers.

Tom.