Re: ICU enhancement request: Support for estimating the monospace display width of a sequence of EGCs in a terminal or console

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 15:19:22 -0400
Some members of the Unicode Consortium appear to have been doing some
work in this area. The following paper was recently added to the UTC
document register <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L-curdoc.htm>.

  * L2/23-107
    <https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23107-terminal-suppt.pdf>: Proper
    Complex Script Support in Text Terminals

Those interested in std::format and formatting textual displays might
also find Will McGugan <https://www.willmcgugan.com/>'s work on Rich
<https://github.com/Textualize/rich> interesting. Rich is a Python
library for text formatting. (I'm guessing Victor is aware of it and I
wouldn't be surprised to hear that there has already been some
cross-pollination of ideas).

Tom.