Re: Agenda for the 2022-11-30 SG16 telecon​; questions for P2675R0

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 23:32:06 +0100
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 11:13 PM Tom Honermann via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Corentin, I'm having a hard time understanding what the screenshots
> included in P2675R0 are showing. The paper doesn't explain (or I missed it)
> what was done to produce those screenshots. I can't tell what code points
> the displayed glyphs correspond to. The set of characters displayed seems
> to differ; the number of rows displayed is not consistent. It doesn't seem
> to be possible to dive into the data to determine which characters are
> being rendered differently. Basically, I'm unable to evaluate whether the
> screenshots support the proposal.
>
> It would also be helpful if the screenshots included information about the
> terminal encoding (almost always UTF-8 I would guess/hope) and the font(s)
> used. I recognize gathering such data could be challenging.

Well, given the first collection took many days and involved a large number
of people, that may prove challenging.
I did intend to have the characters separated by |, but by the time I
realized that it was too late.
Knowing the fonts used would be even more challenging as in the absence of
a codepoint renderers will try to find some other similar font.
For east asian characters, they will be aligned no matter the font, for
emoji they may or may not be rendered on the grid.

The paper contains a script that was used to generate the list of
codepoint rendered.
I intended to include that list however it proved difficult to handle for
google docs, and apparently subsequentely forgot to put a reference
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cor3ntin/e5731f77574b146d806e39283e8c7cb7/raw/01d760e7fbb6a56c637a3ce34688e1da286df287/full_width.hpp
Feel free to try on your system.

The TL;DR is that on a conforming system with sufficient fonts - which is
not all systems, in part because Unicode 15 is recent and not all terminals
display wide tofu properly - what is proposed is coherent with existing
terminal behaviors. And we should not try to placate over temporary
deficiency of one specific terminal over another.

Tom.