Re: SG16 meeting summary for September 14th, 2022

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:54:39 -0400
Thank you, Robin!

Updates made, details below.

On 9/26/22 8:09 AM, Robin Leroy via SG16 wrote:

> For those that attended, please review and suggest corrections.
>
> Corentin mentioned that visual markup for confusability can impact
> usability and noted that VS Code currently highlights all
> non-ASCII characters.
>
> I don’t recall what Corentin said exactly, but it should perhaps be
> noted that what VSCode does is that it highlights non-ASCII characters
> /that are confusable with ASCII/ (maybe with some exceptions).
> This is perhaps even worse than highlighting all non-ASCII: instead of
> just having everything uniformly highlighted, every other letter is
> highlighted.
> Godbolt uses VSCode, so one can see the effect there:
> https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/zK7GPo9hW.

Excellent, thank you for that example. Updates made:

  * Corentin mentioned that visual markup for confusability can impact
    usability and noted that VS Code currently highlights all non-ASCII
    charactersthat might be confused with an ASCII character.
  * /[ Editor's note: Following the meeting, Robin Leroy shared an
    example of current VS Code highlighting as exhibited by Compiler
    Explorer (Compiler Explorer uses VS Code as its editor). The example
    code contains Russian text and many of the characters in that text
    are highlighted as confusable characters despite the surrounding
    context. The highlighting creates significant distraction that makes
    the text difficult to read. See https://gcc.godbolt.org/z/zK7GPo9hW. ]/

> Robin explained that mixed script identifier support is important
> and provided HTTP_<russion-identifier> as an example in which an
> identifier is composed of names that originate from different
> languages.
>
> That would be HTTPЗапрос, a well-attested
> <https://github.com/search?q=HTTP%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%81&type=code> identifier (for
> those like me who do not know all of ISO’s official languages, it may
> be useful to provide a translation: that’s HTTP/Request/).

Updated:

  * Robin explained that mixed script identifier support is important
    and provided HTTP_<russion-identifier>HTTPЗапрос as an example in
    which an identifier is composed of names that originate from
    different languages.
  * /[ Editor's note: HTTPЗапрос can be translated as HTTPRequest. ]/

> Corentin expressed concern that, if C++ were to add support for
> user-defined operators as Swift did, we don't want to end up in a
> situation where characters previously allowed in identifiers
> become candidates for use as operators.
>
> […]
>
> Robin reported that character reviews are being performed by other
> members of the Unicode Consortium and that those reviews are
> considering existing use; for example, those reviews are
> considering the use of mathematical symbols in Julia and which
> ones are used for which purposes.
>
> My explanations may have been a bit confusing here.
> What I was trying to say was:
> 1. The rationale for the proposed mathematical notation standard
> profile for default identifiers takes into account patterns of
> existing usage, including in Julia and Swift, which allow for
> user-defined operators, addressing Corentin’s concern.
> 2. That rationale is being reviewed by relevant experts from other
> member companies of the Unicode Consortium.

Thank you, that is much more clear. Updated:

  * Robin reported that character reviews are being performed by other
    members of the Unicode Consortium and that those reviews are
    considering existing use; for example, those reviews are considering
    the use of mathematical symbols in Julia and which ones are used for
    which purposes.
  * Robin reported that the rationale for the proposed mathematical
    notation standard profile for default identifiers considers existing
    use in languages such as Julia and Swift that support user-defined
    operators.
  * Robin stated that relevant experts from other members of the Unicode
    Consortium are reviewing that rationale.

Tom.