Re: Draft of proposed SG16 questions for the 2023 C++ Developer Survey

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 20:32:32 +0200
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 19:39 Tom Honermann via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> A draft of proposed SG16 questions for the 2023 C++ Developer Survey is
> now available here
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lRU7uErn2Vc7LOGG2H3PrzCvmf69u8S_v-43by_Vb9c/edit?usp=sharing>.
> Anyone with the link should be able to view and comment on the draft.
> Please feel free to add suggestions, corrections, and other comments.
>
> The list of questions (19 currently) is likely too long and will need to
> be trimmed. For reference, the 2022 C++ Developer Survey
> <https://isocpp.org/blog/2022/06/results-summary-2022-annual-cpp-developer-survey-lite>
> (described as "Lite") had 19 questions.

Thanks Tom,

Yes, the list is pretty long, and remember the survey is biased (a few
thousands people among those who follow standardisation closely). The
longer the survey, the less participations. I can easily imagine each study
group could come up with a long list of questions too, many of which not
relevant to all participants.

I guess the essence to what we are going to get to is whether people use or
would like to use C++ for text processing. Asking that directly is probably
sufficient. Given a fairly low participation rate, letting people write a
detailed answer to something like "what would you like to see improved in
regard to text processing and localization?" would give us good reply that
we could summarize fairly easily.

I have strong objections to the formulation of question 4, as it isn't
possible to use emojis in a conforming implementations.

Question 3 is also weird - why these specific languages? It excludes among
other languages using Cyrillic, Arabic, Brahmic scripts , so probably
around 2 billions people in total and a fair number of C++ developers -
although the survey results are likely to be biased towards Europeans and
north Americans to begin with.

More importantly, what is the desired outcome of questions 4? C++ support
arbitrary characters in comments already, and hopefully no one is
considering restrictions.
In some way question 4 is also redundant with question 1.

If question 1 is going to list EBCDIC, surely it should list shift-jis and
gb18030

What do we want to learn from questions 9 and 14?
What is the motivation behind asking about collation independently of
locale?

Why not merge 15 and 17?

The set of questions was culled from: