Re: Agenda for the 2022-03-09 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:46:59 -0500
Thank you, Steven!

On 3/9/22 1:17 PM, Steven R. Loomis wrote:
> Meta comment: Referencing the ICU module or class would be helpful
> rather than just the feature name.
I agree that would be helpful, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious
location to link to within the Doxygen generated docs. And,
unfortunately, the link on https://icu.unicode.org/charts/comparison are
all broken at the moment. Can you provide an example of where to link to?

> * Definitely consider icu4x and ecma402’s API, with the benefit of
> many additional years of trial and error. These APIs are in some
> places purposefully a subset of ICU.
Yes. As we dive into feature categories, we'll definitely want to do
some compare and contrast work among these.

> * Formatting: As Corentin said, Probably these should be looked at in
> detail in comparison with std::locale / chrono.
>
> * Locale identifier. I think the feature set here should prioritize
> BCP47 ( Unicode Locale Identifier but with hypen separators), and not
> POSIX ids. So en-US, not en_US, but provide ways to convert to other
> formats.
A bit of a tangent here and I'll be showing my ignorance, but; given a
std::locale object, I would assume it is not generally possible to
correlate it with a locale identifier. However, I would imagine that an
OS locale (as presented by $LANG in POSIX environments or whatever
interface is used on Windows) can be mapped to a locale identifier. Does
that sound right?

> * Maps: these are mostly for ICU’s internal use, though could be
> useful for ther users’s data.
>
> * “Sets of Unicode Code Points and Strings”: This is actually used in
> a number of processes including implementing other Unicode features.
> I’m assuming this refers to UnicodeSet. This is analogous to the
> sets available in Perl Compatible Regular Expressions, allowing the
> following operations:
> • Does a given string contain any characters matching “[:Deva:]”
> (i.e. Devanagari)? Does it ONLY Consist of “[:Deva:]” ?
> • If the Adangme language has an expected repertoire of "[a á ã b d
> e é ɛ {ɛ\u0301} {ɛ\u0303} f g h i í ĩ j k l m n o ɔ {ɔ\u0301}
> {ɔ\u0303} p s t u v w y z]” , how does the set of a certain string
> relate to that repertoire?
> • Related, a certain font may have a certain repertoire, and this
> can be compared to scripts or certain languages.
>
> • I found this snippet that relates POSIX locale categories with
> UnicodeSet. (It’s used for exporting CLDR data to POSIX format, but
> might demonstrate some use cases)
>
> { "upper", "[:Uppercase:]" },
> { "lower", "[:Lowercase:]" },
> { "alpha", "[[:Alphabetic:]-[[:Uppercase:][:Lowercase:]]]" },
> { "space", "[:Whitespace:]" },
> { "cntrl", "[:Control:]" },
> { "graph", "[^[:Whitespace:][:Control:][:Format:][:Surrogate:][:Unassigned:]]" },
> { "print", "[^[:Control:][:Format:][:Surrogate:][:Unassigned:]]" },
> { "punct", "[:Punctuation:]" },
> { "digit", "[0-9]" },
> { "xdigit", "[0-9 a-f A-F]" },
> { "blank", "[[:Whitespace:]-[\\u000A-\\u000D \\u0085
> [:Line_Separator:][:Paragraph_Separator:]]]" } };
>
> In any event, this could be considered as an alternate way to
> construct a std::set<char32_t>
>
> Note {ɛ\u0301} represents ɛ́ (e + ´)
>
> * Unicode Text Compression:
> SCSU has been stabilized: https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr6/
> > SCSU defines a compact encoding, which is sometimes useful.
> However, Unicode text is much more commonly stored and transmitted in
> UTF-8 which is less compact (except for ASCII), much simpler, and does
> not present any security issues. For longer texts, general-purpose
> compression is effective and common. Therefore, there is no need to
> develop this report any further.
>
> BOCU-1 was withdrawn as a UTS -> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr40/
>
> * Index Characters - motivation here is for UI display of tabbed
> entries, such as a personal address book. It’s related to collation.
>
> * Arabic shaping - This has to do with converting Arabic text into
> preformatted form. It may be too specialized for a general library
> operation.
>
> * Complex Text Layout - removed from ICU, “use Harfbuzz instead”
>
> * Paragraph Layout - Used by some. Depends on Harfbuzz and on ICU
> services.

Thank you for all of those notes!

Tom.