Re: Agenda for the 2022-03-09 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:33:12 -0500
Thank you, Corentin!

On 3/9/22 5:01 AM, Corentin Jabot via SG16 wrote:
> A few random comments that may be useful
>
> * A relatively new project, icu4x - aims to provide similar features
> to ICU while rethinking some of the fundamental design decisions
> (for example, ICU has a UTF16-first interface, which isn't
> optimal) https://github.com/unicode-org/icu4x
> * Currency/Number/Date/Time formatting in ICU/Unicode/CLDR are
> significantly different from what std::locale can offer, and would
> deserve further consideration in that is is not "already provided
> by chrono"

That's fair. I meant more that base facilities exist for these feature
categories. I agree we don't have feature parity with ICU here.

> * In addition to ICU, ecma402 is worth considering -
> https://tc39.es/ecma402/ and
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Intl

Thank you. It looks like, at a very high level, ECMA 402 provides
features that overlap with those provided by ICU though the details
differ considerably. Does that sound right?

> * Case mapping seems to be missing from the document, and may be
> worth considering

Good catch. It looks like that falls under the "Strings and Character
Iteration" feature set within the ICU module list. I made a note in the doc.

> * A lot of algorithms (casing, clusterization) have both locale
> dependant, and locale independent algorithms
> * A locale identifier object is certainly a prerequisite for further
> unicode locale work -
> https://unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35.html#Unicode_locale_identifier
> https://unicode-org.github.io/icu4x-docs/doc/icu_locid/struct.Locale.html

Yes. Locale work will be fundamentally required for complete support of
some of the categories I marked as "yes". Perhaps that is an argument
for making locale related work a higher priority; at least with regard
to locale identification.

Tom.