LEWG(I) (Bi)Weekly review - P2510R0: Formatting pointers

From: Inbal Levi <sinbal2l_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 01:40:57 +0200
Hello LEWG (CCing SG16),
With the design phase of C++23 behind us, we will continue to process
issues and minor changes targeting C++23. The majority of them will target
electronic poll directly (as is the following paper)

P2510R0 <https://wg21.link/P2510R0>: Formatting pointers
By: Mark de Wever

***

*From the Abstract:*
The number of formatting options for pointer types is limited when compared
to integer types. Since the formatting options are already implemented for
integer types, some of these restrictions seem unnecessary and
inconsistent. This paper aims to make formatting pointer types more useful,
reducing the need for users to write their own formatters or casting a
pointer type to an integer type.

*Some meta data:*

   - The paper mentions two issues:
      - LWG3612 <https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/issue3612> (voted into WD
      in latest plenary P2531R0
      <https://wiki.edg.com/pub/Wg21virtual2022-02/StrawPolls/p2531r0.html>)
      - LWG3644 <https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/issue3644> (LWG's priority
      2 - important bug)
      - The paper contains a Tony-table. (Section 2)
   - The paper contains wording, as well as updates
`__cpp_lib_format`. (Section
   4)
   - *Please vote with +1 if you support passing the paper to
   electronic poll.*
(assuming remarks which comes up in the thread will be addressed /
   implemented)

***

*Weekly reviews improve the **readability of the standard**!*
By asking questions and sending remarks you indicate to the authors which
parts of the proposal are not clear, and by doing so, reduce the chances of
ambiguity in the final draft of the standard.

Thank you for your time,
Inbal Levi