[SG16] Disposition of P1885 (Naming Text Encodings to Demystify Them)

From: Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash <brycelelbach_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:18:47 -0400
P1885 has been back and forth between LEWG and SG16 multiple times
now. That is coming to an end.

Unless I hear substantial new information, we are taking a Library
Evolution electronic poll on advancing P1885 to LWG for C++23.

Some relevant information:

0) I do not consider a good use of Library Evolution time to debate
aspects of the design that are primarily questions of text/unicode,
not library design. We do not have the expertise for those discussions
in Library Evolution. That is why we have a Text and Unicode study
group (SG16).

1) The Text and Unicode study group (SG16) is happy with the design of
this paper from a text/unicode perspective. Most recently, at their
2021-10-06 telecon, SG16 had strong consensus to forward the paper to
Library Evolution.
https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#october-6th-2021

2) Library Evolution has reviewed P1885 multiple times. The last time
we saw it, we had consensus to forward it to Library, provided that
one open question regarding `environment`/`wide_environment` was
addressed on the mailing list.
https://github.com/cplusplus/papers/issues/634#issuecomment-903963253

If you like the paper and want us to ship it, then you should be in
favor of taking an electronic poll on this paper.

If you dislike this paper and don't want us to ship it, then you
should be in favor of taking an electronic poll on this paper.

If you believe there is new information primarily related to the
text/unicode aspects of P1885, then you should take it up with the
SG16 chair.

If you believe there is new information regarding the library design
of P1885, then you should speak up now before we take an electronic
poll on this.

--
Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash (he/him/his)
US Programming Language Standards (PL22) Chair