Re: [SG16] [isocpp-ext] EWG telecon next week: UTF-8 sources; non-encodable wide characters

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:42:20 -0400
On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM JF Bastien via Ext <ext_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Hello 'EWG',
>
> Next week's telecon will cover these papers:
>
> - P2295 <http://wg21.link/P2295> Support for UTF-8 as a portable
> source file encoding and
> - P2362 <http://wg21.link/P2362> Remove non-encodable wide character
> literals and multicharacter wide character literals
>
> I was asked in today's SG16 telecon to comment on the wording in P2362
ahead of the EWG telecon tomorrow (that I unfortunately will be missing).

For context, all changes in the paper are to [lex.ccon].

In paragraph 2, the following additional change would be appropriate (since
there is only one applicable base kind now):

their respective base kinds => the base kind

For the change to bullet 3.2.2, the discussion in the paper does not
propose a change to the status quo regarding numeric escapes. The proposed
change to this bullet should be omitted. That is, L'\x80000000' remains
valid when wchar_t has a signed 32-bit underlying type.

The rest of the changes appear sufficient and in line with my understanding
of the consensus out of SG16.