Re: [SG16] A UTF-8 environment specification; an alternative to assuming UTF-8 based on choice of literal encoding

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 09:22:43 -0700
On Friday, 30 July 2021 08:41:13 PDT Tom Honermann wrote:
> True today, but I suspect their location is subject to change (though
> probably unlikely).

It's guaranteed by ABI.

> Is there a straight forward way to determine their location in memory?

Yes from main, because you got a pointer to argv and nothing can have modified
them yet.

After main(), even if you get a pointer to them, you can't be sure they
haven't been modified / clobbered / overwritten, so that's not useful.

On Windows, GetCommandLineW() is always valid.